Wednesday, March 4, 2015

21-Day Fix Extreme: Week 2


DAYS 8, 9, 10 & 11

DAY 8: PLYO FIX EXTREME

Leaving for vacation, was going to prove difficult when it came to my nutrition. I know how difficult it can be to eat out, even when I'm just trying to be somewhat healthy, never mind when I'm on a restricted diet. I would be lying if I said I wasn't at all worried about how the next three days in the Florida we're going to go. I had thought over and over again about what I was going to do from the time I got on my flight, until I landed in Florida. I also knew that I would be staying at a Disney resort, which meant there was going to be more indulgence, then there was healthy food.

My first step, was to make sure that I was all set from the time I left my house in the early morning until I landed down south. Most people worry about what they're going to wear, I was worried about what I was going to eat over the next five hours. The best thing that I could think of, was to pack food for when I boarded the plane. There was some debate over whether or not I would be able to carry food on the plane, but I figured I would try my best, pack a cooler and hope for the best. The worst that could happen is they would make me dump out my food, but at least I had tried. It turned out that I didn't have to worry about that, and so I still had my ground turkey, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and coconut oil. It was essential that I had that entire day planned so that I didn't have to worry about what I was going to eat until dinner. 

It proved a very successful, as I was able to eat every two hours up until we got into our hotel room. That is not to say that it wasn't difficult to decide what I was going to eat for dinner. As we had flown all day, I really didn't want to travel for food. That being the case we decided to dine at the Maya Grill in the resort.  Although I wasn't able to get the leanest cut of steak, I did manage to stay to proteins and steamed vegetables, even though the server looked at me like I was crazy. It was nice to know that the next two days wouldn't be quite as bad as I thought they'd be. I just knew that I was going to be very diligent about what I ordered and how I ordered it.

My attack for the started with two egg muffins, a planned Shakeology with avocado after that, and three protein servings of ground turkey and three servings of steamed sweet potatoes. I had also cut up two red peppers, and half of a cucumber, so that I would have a couple snacks in case we couldn't find healthy food right away. As we were attached to another couple, this made it a little more difficult to travel outside of the resort if they needed the car as well. That entire day was very successful, no matter how weird everyone around me seem to think it was that I was eating ground turkey and steam sweet potatoes on a plane, or by the pool.

My workout was less of a concern, because I knew that, no matter what, I would make it down to the hotel gym. Although some people have a difficult time working out on vacation, I find it very easy to get out of bed put on my sneakers and attack the gym. I planned on bringing my laptop down that evening and following my regular routine which was Plyo Fix Extreme. I got that done around 5:30 in the evening, which left plenty of time for us to relax and get ready for dinner. Although there was limited space in the gym, it didn't stop me from setting up my own spot and making sure that I give 150% to my work out that day. If you're traveling, you need to let go of the concern of other people around you, and what they think about your workouts. I went in there give it everything I had, and could barely walk up the stairs to my room. That being said much like my food, it's important to have a plan, know what you're going to do, and then follow through.

DAY 9: UPPER FIX EXTREME

Day 2 was a little more complicated because I didn't think that I could get egg whites from room service. We went down to the cafeteria and I found oatmeal, and added some almonds. Although I didn't really get protein in for breakfast, I knew I could make up with for it with lunch and dinner. I also brought enough Shakeology to make it through every day of the week, so I didn't have to worry about one of my proteins every day. I managed to have salads and add egg whites and also ended up out to dinner with the couple we traveled with having a filet, a sweet potato and steamed vegetables. Where I normally would not eat anything outside of broccoli and asparagus, I couldn't afford to be that picky and had settled myself with the fact that I was going to have to eat vegetables that I hadn't been eating up until then. That being said, I couldn't be disappointed by that fact. I had chosen to go on vacation knowing that I would be attached to a dietary restriction, and I was going to succeed no matter what. Day 2's workout was a little more difficult, as when I went to the gym it was fully packed especially with big guys who wanted to lift heavy weights. But like I said before, I wasn't going to let that stop me and I carved out my own space, and attacked my workout. It was a great feeling to know that I could be traveling, and still stay on track both with my nutrition and my workouts.

At this point, I also couldn't wait my weigh myself daily, so it made it a little difficult to know where I was making gains. I trusted in the fact that as long as I stayed on top of my diet and exercise, I wasn't going to have anything to worry about. This was very true as I had lost some weight when I returned home.

DAY 10: PILATES FIX EXTREME

Day 3 of vacation ended up turning out much better than I had anticipated. I had called down to room service and found out that I could get egg whites and oatmeal with water. I ordered two orders of egg whites, as I knew that I would want to take them home, if the portion sizes were decent. This was probably the best decision I could have meat for traveling home the next day. I started my day strong with protein and carbs, and had already picked up a salad to bring back to the room the night before. This made me feel very confident, as I knew I would be getting all of my greens and all of my proteins in for the day. Chad and I had already made reservations to have dinner at a seafood restaurant, so I knew I would be able to get some white flaky fish with some steamed vegetables. I was disappointed that it took me this long to feel this confident when having dietary restrictions on vacation, but I certainly learned a lot through the process.

I did Pilates Fix Extreme in my hotel room, as all I needed was a resistance band and a little bit of room.  The gym at the resort was small, and I didn't want to run into the same problem I had the day before.  I cleaned out the space in front of our sink vanity, threw a towel on the floor, and attacked my workout, no excuses.  I had been laying out in the sun all day, and we had turned the AC off in the room earlier that morning, so I sweated out every ounce of fluid I had by doing Pilates that afternoon.  That workout is always an ab and butt burner, and I loved every second of it!

DAY 11: LOWER FIX EXTREME

Our flight out of Florida was relatively early, so I knew I wouldn't get my workout in before we left.  I had learned so much over these few day about how to pack for flights, and how to be prepared to execute my workouts. I also now know what to order before I fly out at the end of the week, to make me prepared for my flight home. I knew it was going to be daunting to have a workout hanging over my head after we got home. Having to fly early in the morning, and then travel home, to get back to a work out was certainly hanging over my head. Despite any thoughts I had of not completing my work out that day, I mentally had told myself that I had committed to the these 21 days. I repetitively said to myself 21 days is not that long to work out every day. I had also told myself that I wanted it more than I didn't. I was not going to let a little travel get in the way of the goals that I had set over the last two weeks. I had made so many gains this far, and I wasn't about to lose them on one weak moment.

I saved my egg whites, in my oatmeal from the day before, and also made sure that I had some veggies to travel. Additionally, I had my Shakeology in case worse came to worse and I needed something quick in my system. Flying can be very hard when you're trying to make sure you eat every two hours. You are never guaranteed a nutritious meal in an airport, not that it can't be found, it just is difficult when looking at the food choices.

Once we returned home, I made sure that I took a little nap, and woke up feeling better and ready to attack my workout. It was difficult, and it certainly wasn't what I wanted to do at the time, but it I got it done and I pushed through. It's another example of how mentally preparing yourself for something will help you physically accomplish it. I wasn't going to let my week will win over my strong mind. 

PROGRESS:

I was going to take pictures while I was on vacation, but when I started to do it, I realized that I couldn't get the right angles and it certainly wasn't showing the same lighting that I had at home. For that reason I decided to wait and do my pictures when I got home. I was amazed by two things. One, that I was so pasty white before I went to Florida, and I had absolutely no idea. Secondly, I saw some serious progress over a 10 day period. I couldn't believe that I had seen so much tightening in my body in such a short amount of time. It is very motivating to know that our body is so resilient and bounces back so easily, and that by focusing on our diet and exercise, we are able to change our bodies in under two weeks. That is not to say that I am not attacking this thing with 150% of my energy and focus, but even decent changes to our diet will drastically affect how we look and feel. 

These are my Day 12 Photos:

When measuring myself, I also saw great numbers. My starting numbers were:

Chest: 36.5"
Waist: 32"
Hips: 39"
Thighs: 22.75"
Arms: 11.5"

My Day 12 numbers were:
Chest: 35.5"
Waist: 31"
Hips: 37"
Thighs: 22.25"
Arms: 11" 

This was amazing to me! An inch off my chest and waist, 2 inches off of my hips, and half an inch off of both my thighs and arms. These are huge, huge losses in 12 days. Especially considering that I was traveling for four days at the beginning of the week, and didn't have access to the food that I necessarily would have at home. I can't believe that I have seen this much loss on my body in less than two weeks. It has certainly taken some mental strength and dedication, but when you see results like this, it makes it all worth it.

If you are interested in trying 21 day fix extreme, or any beach body program, remember that you can order through me to receive a free DVD and online coaching at www.beachbodycoach.com/mlbarclay 

FOCUS.  COMMIT. SUCCEED. 

Maria





No comments:

Post a Comment